Our business was established in 1894, shortly after the disastrous “Thanksgiving Day Fire” of 1888 when most of downtown Ocala burned to the ground. Rebuilding the old wooden buildings with brick, Ocala rose out of the ashes and earned the nickname “The Brick City”. Many new businesses were established, including ours, founded in 1894 by Gordon S. Scott as the G.S. Scott & Son Insurance Agency.
Fifty-four years later, in 1948, a young man by the name of George Mangan joined the company and in 1958 purchased the agency. George Mangan Insurance was born. Ocala was starting to grow rapidly and the company grew with it. In addition, George became very active in the community, serving as Mayor of Ocala, leading annexation efforts, supporting the new United Appeal (now United Way) in the 1960s and eventually in spearheading the creation of the Boys Club (now the Boys & Girls Club).
In the late 70’s and early 80’s George’s two sons Pat and Mike came into the business. In 1982, after growing out of three different offices in Ocala, George Mangan Insurance moved to its current location at 725 N.E. 25th Avenue. Pat and Mike took over ownership when George retired in 1987. They carried on George’s legacy of community service through the Economic Development Corporation, the Ocala-Marion Chamber of Commerce, the Boys & Girls Club, and many other organizations while continuing to build the business. The company is a “Diamond Donor” to United Way, which signifies at least twenty-five years of continuous support. In 2005 Pat became the sole owner, and Mike went on to become Executive Director of the Interfaith Foundation.